Thai Ginger Coconut Soup (aka "Tom Kha Gai")
A highly aromatic & spicy soup. Warning: It's extremely addictive! It's also great if you're suffering from any kind of respiratory distress (cold, flu, hay fever, sore throat, etc.).
- 2-3 cups chicken stock
- 2-3 cans coconut milk
- 1 bunch cilantro Roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp Thai chili peppers (or jalapeno) Thinly sliced
- 1-2 dashes dried chili peppers (or red pepper flakes)
- 4-5 limes Juiced
- 2-3 tbsp fish sauce To taste
- 1 red onion Chopped (not too small)
- 2-3 scallions Sliced, with green stems (not too small)
- 2 garlic cloves Sliced
- 1 small red bell pepper Sliced
- 1 small green bell pepper Sliced
- 1 small yellow bell pepper Sliced
- fresh ginger To taste. I tend to use a LOT. Grated
- 2 tbsp red chili paste
- 1 tsp Thai curry paste
- 1 bunch fresh basic
- 2 lbs. shrimp Cleaned & deveined
- 2 stalks lemon grass, bruised For flavor. Do not eat.
- 4-5 kaffir lime leaves Shredded
Heat a small amount of oil in saucepan, saute chili peppers, bell peppers, red onion & garlic until aromatic.
In a large soup pot, bring the stock to a boil.
Add coconut milk, red curry & chili paste, plus the fish sauce & lime juice, & whisk.
Then add the sauteed ingredients, & taste for balance.
Add the remaining ingredients, & bring back to a boil before adding shrimp.
After a few minutes (long enough for shrimp to turn pink) taste for the balance of spices again, adjust if needed.
Just before serving add basil, cilantro & scallions.